I would like to wish you all a very Happy Valentine’s Day. Today is a day to remember those you love and to show them your appreciation; what better way to do that than by making them something sweet to eat!
My youngest son just finished his undergraduate studies a couple of weeks ago, and today he went to collect some papers from university. I wanted to surprise him with something he’d enjoy, and since its Valentine’s day and everything is red, I made some donuts and added some red food coloring to the glazing to mark the occasion though I don’t really think that donuts are romantic. I think I might have put a few drops more of food coloring than I should have because the glaze looks blood red The important thing is that it put a smile on his face.
So today remember to show your loved ones a little affection. If they’re fans of donuts, make them some of these: smiles guaranteed!
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon dried instant yeast
- oil for frying
- In a bowl, sift the flour with instant yeast
- In another bowl, whisk the milk, egg, sugar, salt and oil then add the mixture to the flour, mix together until you have a soft dough
- Cover the bowl in a cling film and leave the dough to rise and double in volume, for about one hour
- Cover the surface you are working on with flour and roll the dough with a rolling pin to about 2 cm thickness then cut into a donut shape; leave it to rest for 15 minutes
- Heat the frying oil (enough for deep frying) and fry the donuts from both sides for about 3 minutes on each side, until they turn golden color. Place on a kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil and allow to cool before glazing them with your choice of chocolate or red glaze
For the chocolate glaze:
- Boil one cup of cream with 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons corn syrup then pour over one cup of sweet chocolate chip and stir until the chocolate melts, then add one teaspoon of vanilla
For colored glaze:
- Mix one cup of icing sugar with one tablespoon of water or milk and add few drops of food coloring
ET VOILA… C’EST TOUT! BON APPETIT!