Kibbe is a famous Lebanese traditional food. It is made out of meat and bulgur with stuffing inside it from minced meat onion and spices. There are many ways to cook it: it can be baked in the oven, or rolled into balls with the stuffing inside it then fried and even cooked with yogurt. All these recipes require the same ingredients to make the Kibbe mixture and stuffing, however there are some variations. For instance, there is a vegetarian form of Kibbe made from pumpkin.
It’s a bit complex to make this dish, so I tried my best to simplify it for today’s post. Don’t be discouraged and feel free to post any questions in the comments if you need some clarification on any point, I’ll answer as soon as I see it. Together, we’re going to make Kibbe like rock stars! 😀
1.For the Kibbe:
- 3 cups of fine brown bulgur
- 600 grams beef meat
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon seven spices
- Wash the bulgur and drain it from water
- Grate the onion until very fine
- Mix the meat with bulgur, add the salt and seven spices with the grated onion
- Place the mixture in a food processor a bit at a time and keep blending until the mixture becomes creamy and all the meat and bulgur is used
Now your Kibbe is ready, put it in the fridge until you prepare the stuffing.
2.For the Stuffing:
- 500 grams minced meat (better fresh not frozen)
- 3 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon seven spices
- 1/2 cup pine seeds (this is optional, but it is traditionally added and enhances the flavor)
- 1 tablespoon grenadine molasses
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and fry the onion until golden brown
- Add the meat and fry with the onion for about 15 minutes
- Now add the pine seeds, season with salt, seven spices and the grenadine molasses
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until the pine seeds becomes golden color
Let the stuffing cool. Now you have all the ingredients to make the Kibbe in the oven. All you need to do now is assemble them.
3.Putting it all together:
You’re going to need one more additional ingredient: 1 tablespoon of corn wheat.
- Preheat the oven to 200C and butter a baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of corn wheat with 1 cup of cold water. Wet your hand in this corn wheat solution when handling the Kibbe.
- Take enough Kibbe and spread it on the bottom of the pan to make a thin layer. (Remember to keep your hand wet with the corn wheat solution when handling the Kibbe!)
- Add enough of the stuffing on top of the Kibbe to just cover it.
- Afterwards, add another thin layer of the Kibbe over the stuffing, the same way you did for the bottom one. With your hand still wet from the corn wheat solution, press gently down on the top layer with the palm of your hand to flatten (not squish) it
- Divide the tray into four equal parts with a knife (go through each of the layers)
- With the knife still in hand, lightly make diagonal lines on the top layer to form small diamonds. This adds texture to the dish and also helps it bake properly
- Spread 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil on the upper crust. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until you see it become a nice brown color
- Serve it with plain yogurt, or yogurt salad: crush one clove of garlic with a pinch of salt and mix it with yogurt. Peel and dice 5 cucumbers. Mix with 1 tablespoon of dried mint.
ET VOILA..C’EST TOUT:)